Happy Birthday, Google!
The internet company has celebrated its 18th birthday yesterday with a doodle on its homepage. Founded by Larry Page and Sergei Brin, Google has come a long way in such a short time to turn into one of the biggest companies on the planet.
The doodle shows Google’s G blowing up a balloon to spell out the rest of the name but blowing it up too much, and being carried off into the sky.
Google, an American multinational technology company, specialized in Internet-related services and products which include online advertising technologies, search, cloud computing and software.
Some of the greatest achievements of Google include:
- Its Search Engine: In search, Google holds the 72 percent shares in the search market and Yahoo with 13.5% followed by Bing with 10%. A rough estimate shows that Google deals with over 1 billion search requests per day which are handled by over 1 million servers placed worldwide.
- Gmail — The Email Service: Launched in 2004, Gmail has managed 176 million monthly users across the world. Major reason for their success is down to implementation of user friendly layouts, designs and interface along with secure communication.
- Chrome — The Browser: Although Chrome has not completely dominated the market of browsers but its fast paced evolution has been worthy of taking note. It’s beta was released in 2008 and since then it has managed 11.5 per cent share, coming in behind Firefox and Internet Explorer with an admittedly far larger portion of the market.
- Android — Operating System: Android was originally founded by Android Inc. before it was bought by Google. It has revolutionized the world of smartphones associating with manufacturers by HTC, Samsung, Motorola etc.
- Google Maps: This entry deserves a special nomination as it has taken technology a step further. Google Maps are an integral part of Google search engine which provides navigation, Google Earth, street view. The service is accurate and extremely efficient.
- Gesture Search: Gesture Search is perhaps not as renowned as the above entries but it is still a fascinating feature offered by Google. It makes searching the phone extremely easy with the open source Android operating system.
Many websites are reporting that Google’s birthday has been celebrated at different dates. Previously it celebrated its birthday on 26th September. On its 6th birthday in 2004, Google started with the trend of birthday doodles, and that too on September 7th.
Your guess is as good as ours when it comes to determining its true birth date. Let the endless theorizing begin about the true birth date of Google.